Monday, April 2, 2012

I say "Years", but it was only a few months.

I worked for a photography studio once. Ever since then when I look at a photo, it bothers me when the color isn't white-balanced or the lighting is poor or someone has a really obvious blemish that would take literally 15 seconds in Photoshop to correct. You can time me; 15 seconds, a minute, tops.

A couple months ago I kind of went crazy after seeing my company's old batch of employee photos. The photos were taken outside, which isn't all bad, but the background was this scraggly bush just outside our building. Not a good backdrop. And some of the poses were, shall we say, unflattering.

So I convinced my bosses to have a photo shoot, first of the owner, then of all the employees without photos. I set up a backdrop. I brought in lamps and sheets from home to set up lighting. And I made sure everyone had a decent pose and a smile. I used my own camera from home, which is a few steps better than a camera typical of non-photographers.

My time at that studio was short, but I learned a lot of skills that I use in my current job.

But when I see a bad photo, it still makes my eye twitch.

No comments:

Post a Comment